RESIDENTIAL OR COMMERCIAL WATER RATES:
Resident and Commercial water customers are charged a flat monthly minimum of $28.50 for -0- water use, and charged separately for water used at $5.60/1,000 Gallons.
SEWER RATES: Commercial sewer customers are charged a flat base rate of $21.25 monthly, plus a usage rate of $4.25 per 1000 gallons used.
Resident customers are charged a flat base rate of $21.25 monthly plus the usage rate of $4.25 per 1,000 gallons according to the current average rate.
Resident customer usage rates are calculated each year from the average gallons of water consumed in January, February and March. New sewer use rates are effective beginning May 1st. The sewer average will be charged through April 1st of the following year.
NON-RESIDENT WATER RATE:
(All premises served outside the corporate limits)
Water: Monthly Minimum base rate with zero water used of $34.50, plus $5.60/1,000 Gallons of water.
Sewer Note: Sewer service is not generally provided for non-residents.
BULK RATE: (those who occasionally purchase water by permit)
$1.75/100 Gallons or any portion used.
The following charges and rates apply to existing services. For additional fees associated with connection of a new utility service, refer to the “Water/Sewer Installation Application”.
Water meters will be read between the 26th and the 28th of each month. A utility bill will be generated, on or about the first of each month, for each customer receiving water services from the City of Bennet. Water and sewer usage will be charged by separate monthly minimums, based on -0- usage, plus the applicable rate per 1,000 gallons of water used, or any portion thereof.
Change of account/name is a $25.00 (nonrefundable) transfer fee.
$25.00 fee for any voluntary service disconnection.
$100.00 fee for reconnection of preexisting services.
An additional charge of $100.00 for a service inspection of any residence disconnected for a period 6 months or more. Further charges may be assessed for material or parts deemed necessary by the Utility Superintendent.
No deposit will be required of new utility customers, regardless of their status as property owners or tenants. All accounts remain the eventual responsibility of the property owners.
Invoices are issued on the first of the month and due and payable upon receipt and will be considered late (delinquent) after the 15th of the month. See the PROCEDURES FOR RESOLVING UTILITY BILL section below or you can download and print off the procedures. The PDF version is located at the bottom section on this page.
EFT/ACH Customers have the option to pay their account automatically every month via automatic bank transfer directly from their checking account. Please contact the City office for more information on this convenience or download the form in the section at the bottom of this page.
CREDIT, DEBIT, E-CHECKS: We do accept credit or debit cards, e-checks, cash or check payments. Online payments can be made at:
Post-dated checks will not be accepted. Payments can be placed in the drop boxes on the front of the building after office hours.
MULTI-PREMISES: In the instance of a multi-resident or business structure such as an apartment, duplex and multi-office rentals, where more than one customer unit is supplied through the same meter; the owner of the premises will be billed for all water consumed, one minimum of $28.50, plus $10.00 a month per additional customer unit. Only one bill will be computed for each meter.
Garbage fees are automatically billed with the other utilities monthly at a rate of $14.00 per month per premise.
PROCEDURES FOR RESOLVING UTILITY BILL:
The City of Bennet may disconnect utility service for any of the following reasons or for any other reason permitted by federal, state or municipal law.
I. RIGHT TO DISCONNECT:
A. Failure to meet the applicable provisions of law.
B. Violation of the ordinances or regulations pertaining to utility service.
C. Nonpayment of past or present utility bills.
D. Willful or negligent waste of service due to improper or imperfect pipes, fixtures, appliances or otherwise.
E. Tampering with any meter, seal or other equipment controlling or regulating the supply of utility service.
F. Theft or diversion and/or use of service with payment therefor.
G. Vacancy or abandonment of premises.
H. Change in name of person to be billed.
I. Failure of property owner or customer to pay required deposits or provide required guarantees.
J. Failure to comply with backflow prevention requirements.
II. DELINQUENT BILLS:
1. All bills for utility service are due and payable upon receipt.
2. Bills not paid by the 15th of the month shall be deemed delinquent and a late fee equal to 10% of the amount due will be charged against the account.
3. Disconnect notices shall normally be issued on the 16th day of the month to any domestic subscriber on all delinquent accounts, in compliance with Section III and IV of this procedural policy.
III. SERVING DISCONNECT NOTICE: Before disconnection of utility service, the City of Bennet shall give notice by first class mail or in person to the domestic subscriber whose utility service is to be disconnected. If notice is given by first class mail, such mail shall be conspicuously marked as to its importance. The City also has available to domestic subscribers third party notice whereby the City will serve the notice of disconnection on the designated third party by first class mail or in person.
IV. CONTENTS OF DISCONNECT NOTICE: The disconnection notice, by state law, must contain at least the following information.
1. The reason for the proposed disconnection.
2. A statement of intention to disconnect unless the domestic subscriber either pays the bill or reaches an agreement with the utility regarding payment of the bill.
3. The date upon which service will be disconnected if the domestic subscriber does not take appropriate action.
4. The name, address and telephone number of an employee designated by the City of Bennet to whom the domestic subscriber may address an inquiry or complaint.
5. A statement explaining that the domestic subscriber has a right, prior to the disconnection date, to request a conference regarding any dispute over the proposed disconnection.
6. A statement that the utility will not be disconnected until the conference is concluded.
7. A statement to the effect that disconnection shall be postponed or prevented upon presentation of a duly licensed physician's, physician’s assistant’s, or advanced practice registered nurse’s certificate which shall certify that the domestic subscriber or resident within such subscriber's household has an existing illness or handicap which would cause such subscriber or resident to suffer an immediate and serious health hazard by the disconnection of the utility's service to that household. Such certificate must be filed with the City of Bennet within five (5) days of receiving notice of disconnection, excluding holidays and weekends, and will prevent the disconnection of utility service for a period of at least thirty (30) days from such filing. Only one (1) postponement of disconnection shall be allowed for each incidence of non-payment of any past due account.
8. A list of all monies that must be remitted to the City of Bennet for reconnection, including any reconnect charges and payment of all past due accounts. Reconnection fees cannot exceed the reasonable cost of the reconnection.
9. A statement explaining that the domestic subscriber may arrange with the City of Bennet for an installment payment plan.
10. A statement to the effect that those domestic subscribers who are welfare recipients may qualify for assistance in payment of their utility bill and that they should contact their caseworker in that regard.
Copyright © 2021 City of Bennet
685 Monroe Street, Bennet, NE 68317